You already know that a trip to Rome is not complete without a visit to the famous country within the city, Vatican City. But, there are so many different tour options, how do you choose? It all depends on your travel interests and schedule. In this guide, you’ll discover our best Vatican tours and which one’s right for you.
Pro Tip: It’s easier to organize your trip when you have all your resources in one place. Create a browser folder and bookmark this post in your browser along with our article on the best Colosseum tours. We also have a dedicated guide to all things Vatican City where you’ll find everything you need.
All Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica Tours
All of our Vatican tours include skip the line tickets, local English-speaking guides, a tour of the Vatican Museums, and a visit to the Sistine Chapel. The right Vatican tour for you will depend on your interests, whether you want to see the Sistine Chapel without the crowds, and how much time you have to soak up all this beauty.
To help you find your perfect Vatican experience, here is a link bank of all our tours, followed by more in-depth descriptions and maps below.
Express Vatican Tours
Tours under 2 hours:
- Flash Vatican and Sistine Chapel Tour
- First Entry Vatican Gold Tour with Sistine Chapel
- Vatican Night Tour with Sistine Chapel
- Ultimate St. Peter’s Basilica Dome Climb
Classic Vatican Tours
Tours between 2.5 – 3.5 hours:
- Privileged Entrance Vatican Tour with Sistine Chapel
- Vatican Highlights Tour with Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
- Skip the Line Vatican Tour with Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
Full Experience Vatican Tours
Tours over 4 hours:
- Detailed Itinerary Vatican in a Day Tour with Sistine Chapel
- Sistine Chapel, Vatican Gardens, Pope’s Summer Home Day Trip
- Rome in a Day Tour Including Colosseum and Vatican Museums
- Complete Vatican Combo Tour with Sistine Chapel and Dome Climb
Skip the line tickets for a self-guided Vatican visit:
1. First Entry Vatican Gold Tour with Sistine Chapel
Our Super Early Vatican Gold Tour offers a unique and exclusive experience in the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica. Enter an entire hour and a half before the general public at 7:30 am and witness the Sistine Chapel in complete serenity with no crowds.
2. Privileged Entrance Vatican Tour with Sistine Chapel
Want to see the beauty of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel but don’t want to be crammed in like a can of sardines? Boy, do I have the best Vatican tour for you!
Start your day off bright and early with our 3.5-hour Privileged Entrance Vatican Tour, which gets you into the Vatican a full hour before the general public, and head straight for the Sistine Chapel.
By starting the tour here, you’ll get to marvel at Michelangelo’s masterpiece with limited crowds. Is there a better way to start your day?
3. Vatican Highlights Tour with St. Peter’s Basilica and Sistine Chapel
Rome is full of must-see sites and the Vatican should definitely be at the top of your list. If you’re looking to see all that Rome has to offer in a short amount of time, then this Vatican Highlights Tour is the one for you.
You’ll see all the main highlights of the Vatican Museum’s best galleries, Michelangelo’s masterpieces in the must-see Sistine Chapel, and tour St. Peter’s Basilica with an expert guide in just two and a half hours, leaving you with plenty of time to climb St. Peter’s Dome.
4. Detailed Itinerary Vatican in a Day Tour with Sistine Chapel
Are you an art and history lover looking to immerse yourself in the beauty of the Vatican Museum’s art collection? Our five-hour Detailed Itinerary Vatican in a Day Tour with Privileged Entrance is perfect for you!
This tour dives deep into the magnificent artworks housed in the Vatican Museums, Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica. You’ll even get the bonus of a visit to the Pinacoteca, Carriage Pavilion, and Bramante Courtyard.
The five hours will fly by as you soak up all the beauty and history of the priceless works of art on display.
5. Skip the Line Vatican Tour with Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
If you don’t have time for an early morning tour or would prefer to visit in the afternoon, then our Skip the Line Vatican Tour is the one for you. With multiple start times throughout the day and skip-the-line tickets, you’ll find a time that’s just right for you and get straight to exlporing.
6. Rome in a Day including Colosseum and Vatican Museums
Our Rome in a Day Tour is one of our most popular tours to date. You get a comprehensive tour of the Vatican museums by an English-speaking guide. You’ll also get a full Colosseum tour that includes the Roman Forum. The Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps are also on the itinerary.
This is a great way to get the main highlights of Rome before you head out to discover it even better on your own. While we provide transportation at times, this tour makes for a long day with lots of walking. Be ready for a big dinner on your own afterwards with plenty of hydration! Vino helps with hydration, right?
7. Flash Vatican and Sistine Chapel Tour
If you’re not looking to spend hours and hours in an art museum but want to cross the Vatican off your bucket list, this is tour is perfect for you.
Only 1.5 hours long, this Flash Vatican Tour allows you to skip the line at the Vatican, see the main galleries and the Sistine Chapel, and then go about your day. This is ideal for families with young kids, people with reduced mobility, and budget-friendly travelers.
8. Ultimate St. Peter’s Basilica Dome Climb
Looking for the best views in Rome? This is for you. Our Ultimate St. Peter’s Basilica Dome Climb takes you to the Dome right as it opens, before there are any lines.
After you’ve climbed to the incredible lookout and soaked up those views, your guide will escort you into St. Peter’s Basilica for a guided tour.
9. Complete Vatican Combo Tour with Sistine Chapel and Dome Climb
Looking to climb St. Peter’s Dome and get a guided tour of the Vatican? This experience is for you. The first stop on our Complete Vatican Combo Tour is Rome’s most scenic viewpoint atop St. Peter’s Basilica and then continues into a skip-the-line Vatican tour.
10. Vatican Night Tour with Sistine Chapel
On this guided Vatican visit, enter the Vatican Museums after closing time and experience the museums with very few other people. This Vatican Night Tour only runs on Fridays during certain times of the year, making it a very exclusive experience.
11. Vatican Museums, Gardens, and Castel Gandolfo Day Trip
Are you visiting Rome on a Saturday during the spring or summer months? Why not make a whole day of it with our Vatican Museums, Gardens, and Castel Gandolfo Day Trip?
With this experience, you will take a guided tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Gardens, and a day trip by train to the Pope’s Summer Residence. A return train ticket and delicious lunch fit for a pope are included!
I Want More Italy!
- Check out our YouTube video and step-by-step guide about how to visit the Vatican. If you’d rather let us guide you, check out our Vatican tours.
- Not sure where to stay in Rome? Read this guide!
- Follow our adventures in Italy on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Then, comment and tell us what you want us to cover next.
- Looking for awesome tips for cities all over Europe? Check out The Tour Guy Travel Blog!